In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Shield erect and party per fess with a wavy bend argent; its base is pointed. The wavy bend symbolises the Hanyi brook, on the banks of which the village itself is located.
In chief azure three ears of corn are borne encouped. The ears of corn are to signify the main crop grown by the inhabitants of the settlement. In base vert two eight-pointed stars are borne or and encouped on the dexter and on the sinister sides of the shield. The star motif is a reminder of the religious affiliation of the inhabitants in general and it symbolises Calvinism in particular.
Below the stars the charge of a ploughshare is borne argent and it is pointing to the dexter and with its edge it is turning toward the base of the shield. The ploughshare motif symbolises the perseverance and the hard work of the people of Átány. The same charge appears in the settlement’s seal of 1788. Below the shield a tripartite ribbon or, bordured azure is borne, with the settlement’s name ÁTÁNY inscribed in it in capital letters gules.
The first written mention of Átány goes back to 1407 when the settlement’s name got registered in connection with the land property of the Tarkői family. In 1530 Átány went into the possession of the Országh family and in 1569 as many as 25 tax-paying families were registered in the village.
The inhabitants lived from farming and sheep breeding. In 1588 bailiff István Homonnay, and his wife mortgaged part of the village to Gergely Pásztóh of Eger, while the other part remained in the possession of the Jakcsy family.
As early as around 1590 the inhabitants of Átány were followers of the Calvinist faith and they led an active life in their church community.
Until as late as 1620 Átány was owned by Pál Nyári , then it once again went into the possession of the Haller family. Around 1635 the village got depopulated, and later, when new settlers moved to the village they were exempted from paying taxes and tithes.
During the siege of the castle of Eger in 1686 Átány got once again depopulated and it was only a few years later, around 1694, that its inhabitants returned.
It was in 1699 that Count János Dietrich Glöckelsberg purchased the settlement from the Habsburgs. His widow later sold the property to Ferenc Popovics, Marquis of Moravia. Other owners included the members of the Haller and Fáy families. In 1725 the inhabitants of Átány comprised 65 villeins and 15 lesser noblemen, who leased the farmstead of Kömlő as well.
In the middle of the 18th century several landowning families were registered. In 1786 the number of inhabitants was 1851, and later, in 1869 population figures grew to 2783.
Today all inhabitants work in agriculture and no industrial enterprises exist in the village. The settlement’s Calvinist church was built in 1783 in Baroque style, and it got rebuilt in 1804.
The most significant historical building of the settlement is the so called Kakas House. It has preserved its early 19th-century architectural style and today it houses the collections of the village museum, which introduces visitors to the settlement’s past.