In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The Crest of the town
A pointed shield is in a blue field. A silver-coloured unicorn is rearing, with its right leg stepping forward and its head is turned left. Its fore-feet is holding an egg-shaped shield with a black A on it
History of Aszód
Aszód has more than 600 years of history. It is mentioned in documents for the first time in 1401 as the property of Tamás Aza-i landover. During the centuries history the name Aza changed to Aszód, which sounds nicer. However, the people’s history of this area goes back much further in time.
About 5000 years ago a group of neolithic people settled down on the hill near Galga stream. Besides the fortunate natural condition, their decision was influenced by the fact that the important commercial routes from the southern seas to northwards and from east to westwards went throught this territory. After having discovered the archeologists named this settlement, which flourished over 300 years, a stone age metropolis. The remains of this age are collected in the local Petőfi Museum.
The Hungarians knowing the commercial routes and recognising the favourable conditions also settled down in Aszód and nearby. The value of this territory is shown by the fact that Kurszán, one of the Hungarian leaders (headmen) during the Hungarian conquest in the 9th century chose this place for his clan. In the 13th century the growing clan founded his monastery and named it after the Holy Cross, showing that they planned the future on this territory.
As for the Hungarian future it was in danger several times in history. Firstly, the mongolians invaded the country (13th country)leaving devastation in their wake. Later, the Ottoman Empire progressing westwards conquered a great part of the country (16th century ). Aszód became deserted for 80 years and only when the Ottoman Empire left the country did Aszód revive again.
János Podmaniczky had a great role in the history of Aszód. He was an evangelist noble man from upper-Hungary (today: Slovakia) and got hold if this territory with marrige. He made Aszód the centre of his estates.Thanks to his modern methods of farming both his family and the town started developing rapidly. The tolerant landowner set up a castle for themselves and a church for the Evangelsits. He founded a primary and secondary school. He had good cooperation with the local Roman Catholotics and Jewish merchants. Aszód’s dynamical development is proved by the fact that the Monarch gave it the status of a market-town. This meant that Aszód could hold 3 annual fairs.
Podmaniczky’s sons followed their fathers job.They set up a new building for the grammar school, contiuned the construction of their castle and improved the family farm.They received barony for their job from the king.
The garmmar school of Aszód had famous students such as József Hajnóczy who was a significant historical personality in the 18th century and Sándor Petőfi (19th century) who is one of the greatest Hungarian poets. Miklós Jósika baron and Júlia Podmaniczky got married in Aszód. Júlia Podmaniczky was the first person who set up a christmas tree in Hungary. Frigyes Podmaniczky’s career also started in Aszód.
After the Compromise of 1867 between Austria and Hungary, the economic and social development of the country showed its effect in Aszód as well. Besides the high number of manufacturers and merchants, there were banks, a brick-factory, a printing-factory, a secondary school and a casino. The Royal Detention Centre was established in Aszód where the 3rd biggest aeroplane factory of the Monarchy used to run.
World War I did not stop the development of Aszód as it became a regional administrative centre in 1912 and saved its leading role in economy and culture in the region. There was a lively, floursihed civilan life between the two World Wars. Unfortunately, it was finished becuse of the Second World War.
During communism, Aszód lost its title as a town but after the change of regime it received its title back in 1991.
1. Town Hall
2. Catholic Church
3. Lutheran Church
4. Castle Podmaniczky
5. Castle Széchenyi
6. Mauzoleum of Schossberger