In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Hajdú-Bihar)
The coat-of-arms is a shield erect, at fess point parti per fess, the chief parti per pale. The description of the fields is the following:
The upper dexter field is barry of eight gules and argent. This is what is called the Arpadian band, referring to the fact that the settlement's name originates in the age of the Árpád dynasty (the name of the village was first mentioned in 1075, in the deed of foundation of the Abbey of Garamszentbenedek).
In the upper sinister field vert two ears of wheat or, borne in pale. This symbol represents the production of agricultural produce and the related animal husbandry, the village's centuries-long sources of living.
In the lower field gules a phoenix argent, representing the village's rebirth and desire to live, for during its history the settlement got destroyed three times: once during the Mongol invasion, then twice during the Turkish occupation.
Across the top of the shield a chalice or borne in the middle, which refers to the village's commitment to the Reformed Church.
The top and the upper sides of the shield are enfiled by an ornamental branch vert, that is how it displays a unified image.
Excerpts from Ártánd's history:
The village of Ártánd is situated on the Bihar Plain. It is a "transit village of several streets in a plain area" alongside the No. 42 trunk road, as well as a border crossing point toward Romania.
Dating back to the reign of the Árpád dynasty, it is one of the oldest settlements in the county. A charter by King Géza I issued in 1075 donated the village of 120 houses, together with the dwellers, to the Abbey of Garamszentbenedek. The villagers were obliged to give as an annual due twelve five-year-old pigs, hence the name of the settlement (ártány means barrow).
In 1209 the pope reapproved the abbey's title of ownership with regard to Ártánd, which fact was repeatedly mentioned by documents dated 1291-4 and 1332-4. Later the village was taken over by the Sártványvecse clan and, when its members died out in around 1500, it went down to the Ártándy family. The census of 1552 registered 15 ground plots. The reason for its relative insignificance was that the family of landowners, who eventually met their tragic fate, did not have their residence here, but in the neighbouring Kereki castle, which functioned as the domain centre.
The dwellers were converted to the Reformed Church in the second half of the 16th century, and in the period of the Turkish rule they were protected by the garrison of the castle of Várad. The destruction of the castle is likely to have taken place after Várad had been captured by the Turks in 1660. In any case, since a register set up in the year of Várad's reoccupation did not mention Ártánd, the village must have been deserted.
Ártánd's depopulation, however, proved only to be temporary, since in the early 18th century it was again resettled. This village of small size was owned in the 18-19th centuries by lesser nobles, and had extensive manorial possessions. The production of tobacco made the settlement famous all over the county.
The village's classical-style Calvinist church built in 1822 is a listed building.
A landmark of the village is the Hodossy mansion built at the beginning of the 19th century. Later it was reconstructed, and today only part of it stands, which houses a kindergarden. In August 1849, following the battle at Debrecen, here was the headquarters of the Russian general Rüdiger, who negotiated the surrender of the Hungarian army with General Ernő Pöltenberg. This event is commemorated by a plague on the wall of the building.
The inhabitants of the village are mainly occupied by agriculture and animal husbandry, although in the past twenty years industry has also been developing. Outside the village the largest gravel-pit of Eastern Hungary is to be found, while Szoli-Mix Ltd manufactures concrete products.
The pond of the gravel-pit in the vicinity of the village has been transformed into an open-air bathing area and recreation centre, where every July a three-day "International Borderzone Youth Festival" is organized.
01. The former Hodossy mansion at 79 Rákóczi Street, today a kindergarten. In August 1849 it was military headquarters where Russian general Rüdiger negotiated the conditions of the Hungarian surrender with Hungarian general Ernő Pöltenberg. A memorial plaque commemorates this event on the wall of the building. There is also a list of the names of local inhabitants who died in the War of Independence of 1848/49.
02. The listed building of the Calvinist church built in 1822 in Classical style. The 'Bell of Hungarian Resurrection' was put in its tower in 1937.
03. World War Memorial in front of the Mayor's Office in the village centre.
04. Millenial Monument, erected in honour of the 1000th anniversary of the foundation of the Hungarian state.
05. Ártánd is located in the southeastern part of the county. It is a border crossing station on the Hungarian-Romanian border. Trunk road No. 42 between the settlements of Püspökladány and Biharkeresztes is a section of the transcontinental route No. E60, leading from London to Damascus; the Hungarian section of it leaves the country at Ártánd.