In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The settlement’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:
Triangular shield erect and party per pale. In base a triple mound vert. In dexter field gules two ears of corn are borne encouped and placed crosswise. Ears of corn are both or. An arrow or is borne in their intersection and it is pointing upward. In sinister field azure the figure of a warrior is borne, or and he is wearing a Cumanian-style hat or. Shield is topped by a nine-pointed nobiliary crown or. Crown is decorated with pearls argent.
Mantling: azure and argent on the dexter and gules and or on the sinister side.
The symbolism of the settlement’s coat-of-arms can be interpreted as follows:
When designing Árpádhalom’s coat-of-arms the main point was to use emblems which are in accordance with the rules of heraldry, and, at the same time they are capable of referring to the settlement’s history, its recent characteristics, and, in addition, the inhabitants of Árpádhalom are also emotionally attached to them.
As it is indicated by the name of the village, there is a legend, still alive, that the conquering Hungarians, led by Prince Árpád, set up their camp in this settlement on their way to Ópusztaszer. The charges in the Árpádhalom’s coat-of-arms, which refer to this event are as follows: the figure of the warrior wearing a Cumanian-style hat as well as his arrow. In all versions of the settlement’s coat-of-arms one can find the motif of the green mound (triple mound), which is a direct reference to the posterior constituent of the settlement’s name. (Mound means halom in Hungarian). The colour green is a symbol of nature and it also recalls the duty of protecting our environment. The motif of the ear of corn also appears in all heraldic versions and it signifies the agricultural characteristics of the settlement. At the same time this charge also commemorates Elemér Székács, an agriculturalist, who used to live and experiment with new and improved corn seeds at Árpádhalom. The nine-pointed nobiliary crown at the top of the shield is a reference to the Károlyi and Berchtold nobiliary families.
A Brief History of the Village of Árpádhalom
(Written by Lajos Labádi)
Árpádhalom is located by Mágocs-ér, between the settlements of Nagymágocs and Gádoros on the borderline of Békés County. Until as late as the mid-20th century it was only a populous farmstead of the Tiszántúl district and administratively it belonged to Nagymágocs. Local landowners included the members of the Counts Károlyi and Berchtold families. It was on July 1, 1956 that Árpádhalom gained its independence. The settlement’s area covers fields which had been carved out from the outer fields of the settlements of Nagymágocs ( Árpádhalom, Bojtártelep, Szendrei farmstead and Zoltántér), of Eperjes (Kisújváros and part of Nagyújváros) and Székkutas. Árpádhalom covers an area of 7858 acres (4522 hectares). Administratively it became part of the district of Szentes. The anterior constituent of the settlement’s name is a reference to Prince Árpád, the Conqueror and the posterior constituent is the word halom, meaning mound in English. Legend has it that near the settlement itself there were several mounds and the highest one belonged to the property of Prince Árpád, who had set up his camp here on his way to Ópusztaszer. (It was on this mound where the famous Hungarian architect, Imre Makovecz had a memorial (Tree of Life) erected in 1989). The number of local inhabitants was 1673 in 1956, in the year of the official foundation of the settlement. In 1970 there were 1116 inhabitants, in 1980 the number of inhabitants at Árpádhalom was 815. The same tendency continued, so in 1990 there were only 676 people living at Árpádhalom. This number went further down to 625 in 1995. Working-age people and their families mainly live from agriculture (66%). The settlement’s residential outer areas include Puszta, Sirom, Szendrei farmstead, Tanya and Zoltántér. From April 1, 1977 Nagymágocs and Árpádhalom had one joint local government. On October 10, 1990 the settlement once again became independent.
The one-time area of vast expanse belonged to the Károlyi family and following the death of Count Alajos Károlyi (1825-1889) the property was divided among his inheritors. The areas at Árpádhalom and Zoltántér as well as the Szendrei farmstead were inherited by the count’s daughter, Countess Ferdinanda Károlyi, who, in 1893, married a diplomat, later the minister of foreign affairs, Lipót Berchtold. The land was registered in 1891 as their property and Mrs. Lipót Berchtold undertook the managerial tasks of the estate in the mid-1890s. She turned Árpádhalom into the centre of her property. As residence she had a nice mansion built in the middle of the 23-acre local forest. The mansion itself represents neo-Classicist style and its main building is a one-storey building while its side wings have two storeys. The courtyard features a covered terrace with surrounding arcades. The 22-bedroom mansion was originally built from bricks, and its roof had double tiling. The building, well hidden in its beautiful surroundings, survived the destructions of the second world war as well. In 1947 it was nationalised. First, the mansion was used as an orphanage, and later, upon the instructions of the contemporary minister of religion and education, the mansion was turned into a school building. Today it houses the local cultural centre and library. Next to the building one can see the statue of Prince Árpád, a work of art from 1996 by Richard Fromann.
Near the building of the mansion stands a wooden-framed ( Fachwerk technique) Roman Catholic Chapel, which was built in 1920/21 and which is a rare architectural relic in this region of the country. It was also the countess, Mrs. Lipót Berchtold who had the chapel built. Its architect is unknown. The building, representing the special Hungarian style of architecture, was consecrated by the contemporary bishop of Vác, Dr. Árpád István Hanauer on June 14, 1921 in honour of the Sacred Heart of Jesus Christ.
During his stay at Árpádhalom Elemér Székács (Pest, September 23, 1870 - Budapest, May 16, 1938), the famous agriculturalist stayed in the building of the mansion. Elemér Székács studied at the Agricultural Academy of Óvár from 1888 to 1891, and, following his graduation from the same institution, he spent his novice years working in the Budapest offices of Count Károlyi’s estate. It was in 1906 that he began his work on improving and selecting corn seeds. In 1908 he was transferred to Árpádhalom, which at the time was part of Nagymágocs. Here he had the opportunity of sowing his own newly selected seeds in fields of vast expanse, covering an area of 3,000 acres. By 1911 his seeds, due to their good quality and excellent yield, were already in use in the entire Great Plains area of Hungary. The Székács-wheat is outstanding because of its rust-resistence. From 1915 onward Elemér Székács worked as the manager of the entire estate. In 1917 he founded a seed-improvement company and he set up experimental farms at Árpádhalom and Kompolt. Later he was elected vice-president of the Hungarian National Agricultural Society (OMGE) and he also served as president of several other agricultural associations and committees. In 1931 he became the supervisor of all seed-improving companies of the country. He was the founder and editor-in-chief of the Növénynemesítő Szemle, a periodical specialising in seed improvement. The major publications of Elemér Székács included the following books: Vetőmagtermesztés és növénynemesítés (Seed Corn Production and Plant Breeding), Budapest, 1911. Gyakorlati Búzanemesítés (Wheat Breeding in Practice),Budapest, 1912. A magyar búza nemesítésének kérdése, tekintettel az alföldi viszonyokra. (The Question of Breeding Hungarian Sorts of Wheat Considering the Conditions of the Great Plain Area), Budapest, 1914. A búza magyar nemesítésének és az árpádhalmi nemesített búzák rövid története (A Brief History of Wheat Breeding and of the Wheat Breeding at Árpádhalom), Gyoma, 1915.
Today a street at Árpádhalom bears the name of Elemér Székács and a memorial plaque was placed on the wall of the one-time Berchtold mansion, where the famous agriculturist used to live and work.