In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Triangular military shield erect, party per pale azure and gules. Chief or and party per fess with a wavy line. In dexter chief azure a ploughshare argent is borne encouped; it is pointing downward and its edge is turned outward. In sinister chief gules an eagle or is borne, issuing from the line of partitioning. Shield is topped by a barred tournament helm, which is adorned with a crest of a crowned female head, or, surrounded by ornaments or. Mantling gules and or on the dexter side and argent and azure on the sinister side. Below the shield a ribbon is borne with the settlement’s name ARNÓT inscribed in it. (The wavy line in the chief is a reference to the nearby Sajó river. The tinctures of the shield (gules and azure) as well as the charge of the eagle recall the most significant landowning family of the area, the members of the Rákóczi family. The motif of the ploughshare was taken over from the 18th century seal print of the settlement. The crest symolises other one-time landowners of the village, the members of the Ákos clan and their successors, the members of the Bebek family.
The village of Arnót is located in the heart of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County, at a distance of 8 kilometres east of Miskolc. The village has no railway connection to other settlements, still, it is easily accessible even for international transport on main road No. E 71. The settlement is located in a flat area on the alluvial cones of the Sajó and the Hernád rivers. Arnót is located in the centre of a slightly undulating area of gravel-pebbly deposit. The river pebbles can be found in great amount in the vicinity of the village. The climate is moderately warm and dry and water shortage.is characteristic of the whole area. The local flora is typical of the Bükk and Tiszántúl regions.
The fields in the vicinity of the village are mostly muddy; they are utilised as ploughlands or pastures. Since the village is not located on the riverbank, it is less attractive for tourists and nature lovers. On the other hand, due to its proximity to the county seat and easy accessibility Arnót is an ideal place for businesses.
The history of Arnót goes back to the Árpád age; its was first mentioned in writing in 1230 in the form Ornolthy. Later versions of the settlement’s name included Arnod and Arnold. The village was the property of the members of the Ákos clan and it was part of their Diósgyőr estate. The inhabitants of the village paid tithe to the Chapter of Eger; in 1330 the ownership of the settlement went over to the Abbey of Bélháromkút and the village got mentioned in that period as Ornott. In the 15th century the settlement was jointly owned by the church and the members of the Bebek family In the 16th century Arnót became a crown property, but during the Turkish invasion of Hungary it got destroyed and remained uninhabited for a longer period afterward. Int he period of the Turkish conguest, after resettlement the inhabitants paid taxes to the Turks, namely, to the Turkish governor of Fülek. When Protestantism began to spread the inhabitants of Arnót were converted to Lutheranism and the settlement became one of the Lutheran religious centres of such importance that even in the period of counter reformation the inhabitanst were allowed to practise their religion freely. In the 17th century part of the village was owned by the Rákóczi family, while the remaining part was the property of the Treasury. Somewhat later, when Count István Szirmay came into the possession of his estate at Szirmabesenyő, Arnót was also obtained by him and the village remained in the family’s ownership throughout the 19th century. The village church, which had been built to honour St. Martin, got destroyed in the period of the Turkish Conquest. In 1721 a wooden chapel was erected on the ruins of the one-time church, then in 1779 a stone church was built on the same place, to which a tower was added in 1806.
The first village school was established in 1746; prior to this date the priests had been in charge of educating the village children. In the early 20th century local children were taught in the public elementary school. In this period the inhabitants of the village represented various religious communities. The majority of the inhabitants of Arnót were affiliated with the Lutheran church, but there were Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox, Calvinist inhabitants int he village and some Jewish families as well. In the early 20th century the number of village inhabitants was about 1000 and they all lived from agriculture and animal husbandry.
At present (July 2004) the village of Arnót has 2558 inhabitants. The celebration of the patron saint of the village church is held annually on the third Sunday of September. In addition, village festivals are also organised every other year in Arnót.
1. Katolikus templom
2. Weöres Sándor Általános Iskola
3. Hősi emlékmű
4. Millenniumi Emlékpark
5. 16 lakásos bérlakás (önkormányzati)
6. Evangélikus templom