In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Somogy)
In the field azure a crane argent, beaked and footed gules, holding in the sinister foot a patriarchal cross or. The ears of wheat next to the cross, the three six-pointed stars in the chief and the crown in the base are all tinctured or.
Andocs is located in Külső (Outer) Somogy, south of Lake Balaton, 18 kms away from Tab, on the road between Kaposvár and Szántód. Balatonlelle can be approached via Karád from the village, which has a railway station at Nagytoldipuszta on the railway line between Kaposvár and Siófok. There is also a good coach service to the nearby towns.
The area had been inhabited even before the conquest of Hungary by the Magyars. In the papal tithe register of 1332-7 the village was mentioned as one having a parish. In the 1550s it was occupied by the Turks, whereupon part of the inhabitants fled. During the Turkish reign the residents of Andocs were helped to keep their Roman Catholic faith by laymen called liteati, who performed ecclesiastical duties. It was in 1725 that they laid the foundation stone of the monastery, which was then built for fifteen years in Baroque style (still to be seen). The one-time Gothic shrine chapel later became the choir of the present church.
The church was consecrated in 1747 by Márton Padányi Bíró, Diocesan Bishop of Veszprém. It was also then that the belfry of three bells was added to the nave.
From the time of the Turkish occupation onwards, the chapel of Andocs has always been a place of pilgrimage, being visited by believers on the holidays of the Virgin Mary, St Francis and St Anthony. The principal day of pilgrimage became the 15th of August, the Feast of the Assumption. When the Franciscan friars moved into the premises, on an old altar of the church they found the wooden statues of the Virgin, St Catherine and St Dorothy. The relief in the front of the nave depicts the Holy Trinity, whereas in the middle of the nave Gábor Gál had a crypt covered with a red marble slab erected for himself and his wife. The ground floor rooms (of the monastery) house the museum of the garments of the Virgin Mary. The collection today includes more than seven hundred pieces. The tradition of dressing the statue of the Virgin Mary has been alive since 1747, and garments have been sent here from all over the world.
The traditional dressing of the statue takes place on every second Friday morning. Due to the great number of visitors, the number of the patronal festival days also had to be increased. That is the reason why there are several principal feasts, including the one at Pentecost, the Feast of the Assumption, that of the Guardian Angels, the ones on the birthday and the nameday of the Blessed Virgin Mary, as well as four other days of feast.
From 1726 the settlement was owned by the Bishopric of Veszprém.
From among the civil organisations the first one was that of the artisans (formed in 1894), followed by the readers' club, the voluntary firemen's organisation, the association of shooters, the levente organisation (a youth organisation in Hungary between the two world wars), as well as by KALOT. The Hangya Co-op existed until 1948. The new farmers' credit demand was met by the credit co-op, whereas the raising of cattle was promoted by the milk co-op. In 1934 a macadam road leading to Karád was built, and the youths opened a sports ground.
The notarial district, which had existed since 1872, became an independent village council in 1950. This was also the year when the first agricultural co-operative group named after Stalin was formed, followed two years later by the one called Új Barázda (New Furrow).
During the reorganisation of 1957 the newly-formed Új Élet (New Life) co-operative united with the one at Németsürüpuszta, then in 1973 it merged with the Búzakalász (Ear of Wheat) co-op farm of Karád. These mergers were followed by administrative reorganisation, whereby Andocs was annexed to Karád. The settlement's development slowed down. The fight for an independent local government brought success in 1988, but the village was not able to build the important communal buildings of its own. In addition to the inhabited places in the outer areas at Németsürü, Toldipuszta was also annexed to Andocs.
The local authorities that formed after the changes in the political system (1990) tried to make up for the lost years with regard to the development of infrastructure.
In 1997 a youth club was formed, as if demonstrating the fact that sports play an important role in the life of the community: there is a keep-fit club and a sports club in operation, while the progress of the local soccer team is followed with attention.
The professional development of those who make their living out of agriculture is helped by the farmers' association. The elderly are looked after by the local government within the framework of a club. Unfortunately, 15 per cent of those in working age are unemployed. Most of them are unskilled, and due to its limited financial resoures, the local government is not in the position to start investments that would create jobs for them.