In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Shield erect, its base is curved to a point. Chief party per pale azure and gules, base party per fess vert. Shield is decorated with a mantling of floral design. Dexter chief azure, its main charge is an apple or. Sinister chief gules with an ear of corn or. The tinctures of the settlement’s coat of arms as well as its design recall those of the emblems of the Czóbel and Rézler families, as well as the early 19th century seal of the village of Anarcs.
The village of Anarcs is located in the northern part of Szabolcs-Szatmár.Bereg County, at a distance of 42 kilometres from Nyíregyháza.
The settlement’s history can be briefly described as follows:
The first written mention of the village goes back to 1212, the year, when its name was recorded as a settlement to be found in the vicinity of Zsurk. Further, in 1270 it got mentioned that the settlement by the name Onorch went into the possession of the Tegzes family. This fact is proven by the existence of the crypt under the building of the settlement’s Calvinist church and also by the history book by Ezsaiás of Buda, which was published in Debrecen in 1805. This latter publication mentioned the fact that a book of 1289, describing the Mongol invasion of Hungary, also mentioned a settlement as ’Onorch’. Later it got also recorded that in 1272-90 there was a road leading from Anarcs to Pap and also that the fields of the settlement were neighbouring on Izsép, that is the Kisajak estate of the noblemen of Döge. In 1317 the village priest was called Peter, who was the son of Keled of Anarcs of the Gutkeled clan. In 1351 László and Domokos of Anarcs got mentioned. In 1359 the settlement consisted of two parts, that is Kis (Smaller) and Nagy (Larger) Anarcs. The settlements, neighbouring on Ajak and Várda, got clearly separated into two halves in 1412.
In 1361 Miklós and Domokos, the sons of János Várdai were bestowed the estate by the monarch. In 1367 the ownership of the settlement was taken over by László Anarcsi.
At the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries Kisanarcs got depopulated. In 1551 Mihály Várdai and Péter Vetési litigated for the possession of the settlement. Around 1700 from the landlords of Krucsa and Várda Anarcs got into the possession of the Vay family of Vaja. In 1703, in the period of Rákóczi’s war of independence Rákóczi stayed here for a while. His soldiers planted three poplar trees in the vicinity of the village to commemorate this event.
In 1715 the settlement as well as 40000 acres of land around it were bestowed by Charles III on brigadier Imre Czóbel. The village was already called Anarcs in this period. At the end of the 18th century the members of ther Czóbel family built a mansion in the village and established a 40-acre park, which still can be found in the centre of the village, although its area has shrunk to 14 acres. The highlight of the park was a beautiful fish pond, which was established by Italian specialists. The park had rare species of trees in it, including magnolias, Babylonian willow trees, sycamore trees, various oak species, fig trees and gingkos. Unfortunately many of these have not survived.
The seal of the village goes back to 1801. Its shape as well as its charges are known to us from old prints. The legend featured a six-pointed star. In base the stylised depiction of a field with three ears of corn in it. Ears of corn are flanked by the charges of a ploughshare and a coulter. Above them the date 1801 is inscribed.