In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The settlement’s coat-of-arms can be described as follows:
Triangular shield erect and gules, capped azure. In field azure a triple mound, on the top of it an open crown or. Two angel’s wings argent are issuing from the crown and in-between them a cross or is borne encouped.
At the upper edge of the shield in field gules two sheafs of wheat or are borne.
The settlement’s coat-of-arms can be interpreted as follows:
Part of the settlement’s name, ’SZENTIVÁN’goes back to the archaic form of the name of John the Baptist. This fact is referred to by the presence of the cross as charge in the settlement’s coat-of-arms.
The triple mound is a reference to the undulating geographical surroundings of the settlement. The silver angel’s wings issuing from the golden crown are religious motives, since the settlement is one of the most famous places for pilgrimages in Fejér County.
The golden sheafs of wheat symbolise the two settlements of ALSÓ- and FELSŐSZENTIVÁN.
The village of Alsószentiván is located in the middle of the Mezőföld region, at the meeting point of the hilly and plain areas. It is here where the loess of Paks begins. Approximately one half of the village can be found in the plain area, which is rich in brooks and lakes. The other half of the settlement’s area can be found in the loess-covered karstic hills. The village lies at the height of 100-200 metres above sea level. Its climatic conditions are not very favourable: the annual precipitation is only 300-350 mm.
The history of the settlement goes back to the period of prehistoric people. At the lakesides stone axes, and arrowheads were found, and in the centre of the settlement IronAge findings have been unearthed by archeologists from Székesfehérvár. At the western edge of the village more than forty burial mounds were found, out of which at the beginning of the last century archeologists opened eleven and they found the traces of the Oraviszl in them, people, who used to dominate the Mezőföld region. Along the Sóhordó Street at the north-eastern edge of the settlement the dwelling place of a unique people can be found under the ground. The so-called Bújóluk is a system of labyrinth of 12 underground chambers; its length is 9 kilometres. Formerly the settlement consisted of the three parts of Alsó, Közép, and Felsőszentiván and Roman Age relics have been found in all of them. The existence of the three Roman garrisons is attested by the relics exhibited in the local museums and also by many artefacts which are now in private property.
In the period of the Magyar Conquest it was the Petchenegs who settled down at the foot of the hill at the western edge of the village. The local church was also erected here and it was consecrated to commemorate the Virgin.Mary. The ancient church of the settlement was mentioned in 11th century legal documents as a place of pilgrimages. In the 12th century the members of the Petcheneg Zedregi clan married into those Serbian families who had already lived here before the Magyar Conquest. These families were also related to the Serbian inhabitants of Rácalmás and Bölcske. The settlement of Alsószentiván played an important role in the county as well as in the whole area and its significance was due to the status and the fame of the Zedregi family This is why until the lost battle of Mohács of 1526 the settlement was called Zedreg and the various parts of it, the Szentiváns, were only sections of Zedreg.
In 1617 Szentiván was mentioned as an unpopulated settlement by the palatine, who also added that it was then the property of the castle of Palota. The name Zedreg later was slowly forgotten and it was mentioned in legal documents as the inheritance of the Paksi family. Szentiván, a bestowal by the Emperor, from this period onward belonged to the Lendvay and Farkas families and it was directed by various landowners and tenants. The settlement’s boundaries were drawn by an Imperial Committee and on the south it was bordering on the Dunaföldvár-Vajta main road, on the west on the Hardi Brook, on the north-west on the Cece -Karácsony road and on the north-east a valley called Határvölgy. The settlement’s boundaries have been modified twice since then. In 1950 the farmstead of Hard was annexed to Németkér, and the boundary was drawn as far as the Hetes Tölgy. Later, in 1966 the border on the northwest was revised and the former Kiszedreg, today called Dózsa-telep was annexed to Alap. Thus the area of the settlement has srunk to 3925hectares. Due to the contractions that had taken place the number of Alsószentiván’s inhabitants went down to 700.
During the centuries the majority of the settlement’s fields went into thehands of new landowners, namely the members of the Szluha family. There were no permanent settlers in the village and this is why the local landlord hired daily labourers from the village of Kaba . In 1945 the former servants of the estate settled down in Alsószentiván. The present-day village was built up from the building material of the former servants’ quarters and other farm buildings. Inhabitants also moved to Alsószentiván from the neighbouring eight farmsteads.
The representatives of the local government were elected in 1990 and the first task of the newly elected body was to introduce upper primary training in the local school and also to improve the conditions of education by hiring new staff. In 1994 the water mains were laid down in the village and the construction of a sewage cleaning plant was also planned. The problem of communal waste disposal has been solved; this way pollution has considerably decreased. All local roads have been paved and all the streets in the village are now dust-free. The village joined the national gas network and the majority of households today use natural gas as the main source of energy. The local telephone network was established in 1995 and in the years 2001 and 2002 a program for inland water drainage was started. A health centre also opened in the village and a resident general practitioner takes care of the local patients.
New developments have taken place in the field of culture as well. A new educational and cultural centre is being established in the village. As the first step the local kindergarten and the school have administratively been united. The local school houses the village library as well and plans were made to broaden the scope of cultural activities.and to enlarge the building of the village cultural centre.
The one-thousand years of worshipping the Virgin Mary has gained a new impetus lately. After the second world war the religious congregation of the village gained strength and once again began to promote the local religious tradition. First the idea of the worship of the Virgin Mary, then the worship of the patron saint of Hungary was promoted, until,due to a lucky coincidence the local congregation got hold of the statue of the Virgin of Fatima , and it is now the main object of religious worship.
Today the local government cooperates with the church very closely. In the past, when religious activities were restricted, but now the relationship is characterised by good will and cooperation. The local governemnt as well as the religious congregation of Alsószentiván have been working together for the benefit of the village inhabitants. They have organised several joint events and they have been trying to establish closer contacts with each other.