In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The coat-of-arms is a heater (shield erect with a pointed base), at base party per fess crested argent. It bears: gules, issuing from a triple mound vert the turbaned chimney of the late Gothic mansion of a lesser noble in pale argent, flanked by a coiling vine-tendril vert and or on the dexter and on the sinister side respectively.
The green field under the chimney represents the downy Pannonian landscape, whereas the silver-coloured crested waves symbolise Lake Balaton. The colour red of the field refer to the Permic red stone, the characteristic feature of the village, while the coiling vine-tendrils are the symbols of viticulture, the basic source of living for the villagers for many centuries.
By the foot of the 230-metre-high Somlyó Hill one can find the beautiful old Calvinist church of the village. The existence of a church on this site was mentioned as early as 1318; the present building acquired its final form in 1788.
On the west side of the single-naved hall church there is the tower, under which one can find the 13th-century organ-loft of the patron. The corners of the west front are supported by leaning buttresses. The tower bears Gothic windows, whereas in the porch there is a 15th-century gate with pointed orders of arches.
Near the church one can find the Turkish House, the most famous building of Alsóörs. This is Hungary's oldest Gothic mansion once owned by a lesser noble. In the period between 31 May and 30 August, this historic building is the venue of various summer events including artistic exhibitions, shows and, as the latest fashion, wedding ceremonies.
The house was built in the 15th century. Under the frontispiece there is a large cellar with late Gothic door stones. The front door of the house is also Gothic. The building is popularly known as the 'Turkish tax collector's house'. The chimney is reminiscent of a turbaned head, hence the name. To the house there belongs a small plot of land, from where one can enjoy a stunning view of the eastern basin of Lake Balaton and of the Tihany Peninsula.
After visiting the church and the Turkish House it is worth taking a walk and having a look at the old cottages nearby, which are the precious monuments of the region's folk architecture. It is also worth paying a visit to the vineyards, partly because of the magnificent view, partly because of the several old cellars and wine-press houses to be found here. The best known one of them is the Rauscher Cellar, built on the top of the hill, on the left side of the road leading from Alsóörs to Felsőörs. It was visited by the renowned lawyer and writer Károly Eötvös several times. We can also taste the excellent wine of the region, as he did. The source in the Királykút Valley between Alsóörs and Felsőörs is a popular hiking spot. It is also possible to take a walk to Felsőörs via Malom Valley and the village of Lovas in order to visit the beautiful Romanesque church.
A peculiar event to take place at Alsóörs is the 'Farewell to the Summer', organised annually in mid-August.