National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Municipality of Alsónémedi
Click to zoom

Alsónémedi

(The County of Pest)

Alsonémedi, the 930 years old large village is situated sothward, 25 km far from Budapest along the Main Road 50. This place easy to reach from the MM5 Motorway and from the MO Ring Road too.

The first written record of this place is from 1067. Alsonémedi is one of the oldest settlements in Pest county. The hemp-field funds proved for us, that this place was the populated area 4000 years ago.

During the Magyar Conquest the territory of Alsonémedi partly entered into possession of Arpad's family.

The name of the village is firstly recorded in 1654 and it remained unchanged up to the present. Befor this date we can find different variations of NYWYG in written records. This village always seemed to be a prominent place for agriculture. The peasants formed their inner allotments around the church, and from here they went to their fields to cultivate the land. At the end of the 14th century the abbot of Csanad exchanged NYWYG for Vac bischop's land nearby Maros. The bishop's right of occupation remained for hundreds of years.

The local residents took part in the events of the 1848 Hungarian War of Independence. Karoly Halaszi - the village scool theacher - died a martyr in the cause of this War. (On the wall of the former Reformed School there is a commemorative tablet.)

The feudal system was wiped up after the 1848 War if Independence, during the Habsburgs' oppression. In the couse of the soccage agreement on 12 May 1858, almost all people were given land. At the end of 1800 social life became lively, the first civil organisations were formed (like credit bank and fire brigade).

The historic past of Alsonemedi is preserved by the Roman Chatolic and the Reformed churches. Althan Karoly, the bishop of Vac has the Chatolic church built in 1751. Cardinal Migazzi donated its altar crucifix in 1774. The Reformed church was built between 1783-87. It has a notable golden communion cup from Augsburg dated 1631.

There are some rare plants in the old churchyard of the two churches and gravestones, wooden headboards from 1700.

It will be worth going to Alsonémedi not only because of its historic past and above meetloned historic buildings, but also because of its nature nearby Landscape Protection area of Ocsa there are some animals and plants characterised of marshland between the Dannube and Tisza. The "ujjaskosbor" is in flower in spring, but the dark blue "gentian" is very nice in autumn.

This territiory is also important from ornithological point of view: some big birds - like heron, spoonbill and white storks and seek their fed in the Landscape - protection area of Ocsa.