In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Tolna)
The coat-of-arms is the ornamental symbol of the local authority, and refers to the past of the village.
The base of the coat-of-arms is a shield arched below with a trim or. The asymmetric hills vert symbolise the situation of the village. On the dexter side a plain hill, on the sinister a row of cellars built in terraced shape.
In the axis of the coat-of-arm s is the church, a typical and unique building of the village, symbolising commitment, unity and common thinking. In the upper dexter part of the shield an ear of wheat, opposite a bunch of grapes or is borne.
These two signs represent the profession of the inhabitants that has been typical for centuries. The Sun and the Moon mean time, the realisation of the importance of the past in the interest of the future.
The Village of Alsónána is situated in the southern part of Tolna County, in the valley of the Szekszárdi hills, 13 kilometres from Szekszárd. The majority of the areas is hilly or plateau. The majority of the land is cultivated with many forests. The air is clean, the surroundings are suitable for trips and outings. There are many sights in the nearby towns and villages.
The Landscape Protection Area of Gemenc is about 25 kilometres, the Sárköz is 8 kilometres and Szálka is 6 kilometres away. This latter one has good fishing and swimming facilities.
The general education of the village is solved by traditional programmes: balls, celebrations, the picnic in May, vintage fun, etc. The bigger programmes are held in the 200-seat community centre. The stock of the village library contains books as well as video cassettes.
To the initiation of the Old Age Pensioners’ Club, people started to collect ethnographic objects and devices that can still be found in the area. These objects can form the base of a local museum.
Our settlement is the home of the Galagonya Craftsman Camp, where children can spend their time usefully.
The majority of the inhabitants is Catholic, others are Calvinists and Evangelics. Its church, built in 1864, was renovated by the Evangelic Church and the relocated Germans. The Catholic Church was a Serbian Church until 1920.
One of the most significant sights of Alsónána is the line of cellars in the centre of the village, situated right north of the village. There are nearly 150 cellars on its three streets. They aren’t brickset but caves in the ground, prove the hard work and persistence of the dwellers.
The history of Alsónána can be traced back to the 13th century. At that time the people of the village were bilingual, Serbians and Germans lived here. As it used to be a Serbian (Rác) settlement, it was called Rácna. The first Serbian settlers came to settle in 1725. At around 1790 five German families came to the village, others came from the neighbouring villages.
Between the two World Wars the fields of the village were 2273 kilohectars. The bigger proportion of it was arable land, other parts were meadows, pastures and uncultivated lands.
The population, the number of which was decreasing continually since the 1920s, was German (92%), evangelic by denomination. Beside them, approximately 100 Greek Othodox Serbians lived in the village in 315 houses.
The evangelic elementary school worked with two teachers. There was also a Greek Orthodox School, but the small denomination couldn’t afford to pay a teacher.
The tradition of associations can be attached to the choir, the Civil Readers’ Club and the German Adult Education Association, that were formed in 1903. Beside these a levente association (for boys between 13-21 years of age), the hunters’ association, the Voluntary Fire Brigade and the Civil Riflemen’s Association can also be found.
After the World War I. the Serbians, after the World War II. the Germans were relocated. Following it, a lot of families moved to Alsónána from many towns and villages (from approximately 72 settlements). After the resettlement only five German families remained in the village, thus the old German settlement ceased to exist, its traditions disappeared.