In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The coat-of-arms is a spade shield erect, the base curved to a point. It bears: azure, in pale the figure of St Wendelin or, the patron saint of livestock-rearing farmers, herdsmen and, most importantly, shepherds.
St Wendelin was originally a shepherd himself, who looked after the lord's sheep in the Rhine region. His cult was spread in Hungary by German settlers in the 18th century.
In the shield base, beneath the figure of St Wendelin, a tobacco leaf borne symmetrically on the dexter and on the sinister side respectively. This motif evokes the memory of the tobacco-growing original dwellers of Almáskamarás.
The coat-of-arms was designed on the occasion of the 150th anniversary of the settlement's foundation. The village is situated in the southeastern part of the county Békés, at a distance of forty kilometres from Békéscsaba.
Until their forced relocation in 1946, the inhabitants were Germans having been settled here from Elek in 1844. At that time the site of Almáskamarás used to be a puszta belonging to the comitat Arad. After the peace treaty of Trianon it remained part of the comitat, now diminished in size, then it was attached to the united comitats of Csanád-Arad-Torontál.
Following the second world war, many families were relocated in Germany. From 1980, village affairs were administered at Nagykamarás, and it was only in 1990 that Almáskamarás regained independence. Since then the settlement has witnessed considerable development.
The population is gradually ageing. Their most important source of living is still the land since, apart from the local authority, there are no major employers in the village.
As regards infrastructure, the village represents the national average. The construction of the sewage system is one among the plans for the future.
Local sights feature the Roman Catholic church in the main square, the construction of which was begun in 1864 by Lipót Ursits, an architect from the town Arad.
At present Almáskamarás is twinned with two German settlements, Walldorf and Leimen.
1. Mayor's Office
2. Upper Primary School
3. Medical surgery
4. Part of St Stephen's Park
5. Roman Catholic Church
6. Church. Christ's Heart Altar