National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Village of Algyő
Click to zoom

Algyő

(County Csongrád)

The coat of arms of village Algyő is a simple standing shield with rounded support and silver edge. A wavy silver strip parts the inside field of the shield at the lower third of the coat of arms. The silver strip symbolizes the River Tisza.

The Hungarian conquest was an important event of the history of Algyő. The excavated cemetery on the boundary of the village emphasizes the strategical importance of the settlement. The control over the ford of the Tisza was the possessor's essential interest in this territory. The field over the silver strip is parted.

In heraldic view on the right upper green part there is a coulter overlooking right with its edge and we can see a silver ploughshare turning upward with its tip and left with its edge next to the coulter. These two agricultural tools were recorded on a seal used in 19th century.

In the green part of the shield there are two six-pointed gold stars, one is on the left and the other is on the right from the silver tools. A five-petalled gold flower can be seen under the ploughshare.

There is a gold cloth decoration from the time of Hungarian conquest and it has two branches that cling down on the left side of the red field. On the upper tip there is a square window and a stylized flower can be found which bottom part is drop-shaped.

The cloth decoration mentioned above refers to the fact that Hungarian people appeared on this territory very early.

The springing into existence of the settlement of Algyő can be thanked above all by the River Tisza because the river itself gave living not only for the fishermen but also for the basket-weavers. Wicker grew everywhere on the catchment area. Wicker is the basic material for making baskets.

The third part of the shield below the wavy strip is blue-coloured. This symbolizes the river and you can see a swimming fish in it.

A strapped silver-coloured helmet with black lining and a silver locket on the neck are situated facing on the shield.

A leafy crown can be found on the helmet with red and green gems. The helmet's cover is blue and gold.

The name of Algyő firstly appeared in the form of Geu in the gift-deed of Dömös provostship which was written in 1138.

The every day's life of Algyő was determined by coexistence with the River Tisza.

The village was built on the right bank of the river and it was in the mercy of the river's yearly flood and devastation.

The village, which population was over 3,000 inhabitants, was carried along on 7, March, 1879 and was wiped out from the map forever.

Sándor Pallavicini, the owner wanted to arrange the fate of the mined Algyő by the resettling of the rurals to free flood area. He offered 3,000 yoke to the flood victims 10 km far away from Algyő to build a new village (Sándorfalva). The land was a gratis. Most of the rurals returned to Algyő.

It took three years' struggle to get back the independent village status in 1882.

Der Wappenschild des Dorfes Algyő

(Die Komitat von Csongrád)

Das Wappen der Gemeinde Algyő ist ein einfacher, stehender Schild, von einem silbernem Rand umgeben. Das innere Feld des Schildes wird beim unteren Drittel durch einer wellenförmigen Silberbinde getrennt. Die Silberbinde symbolisiert den Fluss Theiss. Die Kontrolle über die Furt der Theiss war erstrangige Intresse der Besitzung der Gegend.

Das Feld über der Binde ist durch eine Spalte getrennt. Auf der rechten oberen grünen Seite sieht man einen Eisenpflug, mit der Spitze nach Oben, nach links stehender Schneide.

Die landwirtschaftliche Geräte wurden auch auf dem aus dem 19. Jahrhundert stammenden Siegel verewigt. In diesem Feld sind auch sechsarmige Goldsterne, unter dem Eisenpflug eine fünfarmige Goldblume zu sehen. Im linken roten Feld ist ein aus der Zeit der Landnahme stammender hängender Kleidungsschmuck zu sehen, dessen Form auf dem oberen Teil eine auf die Kante gestellte viereckige stilisierte Blume, auf dem unteren Teil ein Tropfen ist.

Der im Wappen stehende, aus zeit der Landnahme stammende Kleidungsschmuck weisst auf das frühe Anwesen der Ungarn in dieser gegend. Ihre Entstehung verdankt die Gemeinde Algyő v.a. der Theiss. Der Fluss sicherte nicht nur den Fischern das Auskommen, im Überschwemmungsgebiet wuchs auch reichlich Gerte, der Grundstoff des Korbflechtens war.

Das Drittel unter der wellenförmigen Binde ist blau, rechts mit einem schwimmenden Fisch.

Im Schild befindet sich ein entgegengekehrter, silberner Helm mit schwarzen Belag und Band, im Hals ein Silbermedalion.

Auf dem Helm befindet sich eine offene Krone mit Blatt, mit roten und grünen Edelsteinen. Der Helmhalter ist blau und gold.

Der Name Algyő wurde das erste Mal im Donationsbrief des Propstes von Dömös 1138 als "Geu" erwähnt. Der Alltag Algyős ist durch das Zusammenleben mit der Theiss bestimmt.

Die Gemeinde wurde unmittelbar am rechten Ufer gebaut, ausgesetzt der jährlichen Flut, die Auskommen sicherte, aber auch ausgesetzt den Zerstörungen dadurch.

Die Gemeinde mit 3000 Einwohnern wurde am 7. März 1879 von der Flut zerstört. Diese Flut lies Algyő beinahe für immer von der Landkarte verschwinden. Das Schicksaal des zerstörten Dorfes wollte der Gutsherr Sándor Pallavicini richten, indem er die ganze Gemeinde auf einen Ort umsiedelt. Ca. 10 km von Algyő entfernt, auf einem hochliegendem Ort bat er 300 Morgen Boden den Opfern der Flut zum Aufbau der neuen Gemeinde Sándorfalva an. Die meisten Einwohner von Algyő kehrten jedoch zurück. Die Einwohner von Algyő kostete es einen dreijährigen Kampf bis sie 1882 ihren Status als unaghängiger Gemeinde wieder erhielten.