In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Triangular shield erect and azure. In base a triple mound vert is borne. On the mound a naturalistically depicted dove argent. The bird’s feet and beak gules, its wings abaisé. In its beak dove is holding three ears of corn, or.
Alap is a settlement of rectangular-shaped plots with several streets at the southwestern edge of the Sárbogárd region. The settlement lies at the height of 107 metres above sea level at the flood-free internal edge of the sunken alluvial cone of the ancient Sárvíz canal. On the west the village borders on the plain of Rétszilas and on the east on an eastward sloping loess plateau.
In the Ice Age (lower and middle Pleistocene) the western part of the settlement’s area was criss-crossed by the Őssárvíz canal, which filled it in with its sediments. At the end of the Ice Age (in the new Pleistocene area) the ancient river moved toward the west, its alluvial cone dried up and due to movements of the earth’s crust it began to sink. The lowest part is the plain of Rétszilas. Although in the postglacial period the surface of the alluvial cone was covered with detritic rock, as well as with sediments of sand and loess, the morphological characteristics of the area can be linked to the one-time Őssárvíz. The area’s featureless surfacewas enmeshed by canals, still waters, mortlakes, flat areas without outlets, alkali flats and leaking rivulets.
The outer area of the village is sloping toward the east and toward the southwest it goes into a gradually lowering loess plateau. The average height of the settlement is 140 metres above sea level. The monotony of the area’s featureless surface which is covered with a thick layer of loess is only broken by the existence of loess sinkholes.
The history of the settlement can be described as follows:
The settlement’s name was first mentioned in 1352 as Olop, then in 1410 it was changed to Alapp. Some linguists link Alap to the word oluphe, a name which appeared in the 1055 deed .of foundation of the Benedictine Abbey of Tihany, but this hypothesis is not likely to be relevant. The placename Alap is rsather to go back to Olus, an old Hungarian person’s name, which derives from an old Turkish word ’alp’ meaning ’hero’, ’a fine-figured man’, or from the Kazak ’alip’ meaning ’giant’. The Bronze Age urn graves of Aranypuszta represent the oldest archeological finds which were unearthed in the vicinity of Alap. A Celtic cemetery from the Celtic-Roman period of the age of early emperors as well as a large-size three-figured Roman gravestone from the 2nd century A.D. were found by archeologists in the village. The remains of the Árpád Age settlement and cemetery are examples of relics from the period of the foundation of the Hungarian state. Another early find is the 8-12th century cemetery, located at a distance of 1 km east of Alap in the area of Tavaszmajor-Homokbánya. The finds consist of 200 graves, including the contents of a horseman’s grave and many weapons, and they prove that the ancient cemetery was uninterruptedly in use in the late Avar period, in the age of the conquering Hungarians and during the reign of the kings of the early Árpád age as well, until as late as the 12th century. The southern section of the cemetery is the older one, while its northern section, in which coins forom the age of Béla III and István IV have also been found, is the more recent one. Remains of a medieval village have been unearthed north of the village, in the area called Rongyos.
The first documented mention of the settlement goes back to the first decades of 14th century. In 1352 King Lajos I made mention of the Petchenegs of Alap as part of the country’s nobiliary and placed them under the legal authority of the bailiff of Fejér County.
The members of the Alapi family later on played a significant role in the settlement’s as well as in regional public life. At the end of the 14th century János Alapi became the magistrate of Fejér County, then in the last decades of the 15th century János Sáry of Alap functioned as the sub-prefect of Fejér County. In 1432 István Alapi was granted the possession of his Alap property by King Sigismund.
In 1568 the number of curial families was 10, then in 1578 it grew to 26, all of which cultivated one unit of land. The village of Alap had a salpetre-bed and they paid tax after it to the captain of Palota, although taxation was forbidden in the Turkish era by the pasha of Buda.
In the period of the 15-year war the local noblemen fled to the western part of the country. After 1617 the settlement was resettled by Serbians. The Salamons’ deed of gift got renewed in 1628, but the members of the family did not move to Alap for another 100 years.
A census of 1689 still described Alap as an uninhabited settlement, although it also mentioned that there were fertile fields, good pastures and nice meadows in the vicinity. The same document also noted that there were no wooded areas near the village then. When Fejér County got liberated from the Turkish rule (1688) new landowners appeared. People of the chamber property of Székesfehérvár came to Alap and the area of the village got registered as the property of the Chapter of Fehérvár. The same document mentioned that 50 acres of ploughland was already cultivated by the new settlers. Farkas, Sámuel and László, members of the Salamon family moved to Alap around 1731, after they redeemed the property from pawn and in 1734 they got registered as Alap’s owners. The Salamons used to live at Balos in Vas County and from that village they moved back to Alap of Fejér County.
Farkas Salamon was an outstanding personality of Alap. He was a lieutenanat in the rebelling troops of Fejér County’s noblemen and he fought against the Prussians in 1742. When the army’s leader, the lieutenant-colonel fell in a battle, Farkas Salamon took over the leadership of the army and he led the troops to victory in several battles. In 1749 László Salamon and his wife built a chapel at Felsőalap and a document of 1754 made mention of the building as a fine chapel and described it as a spacious building without a tower, which could accomodate as many as 50 people. In the middle of the 18th century there were several landowners at Alap, including the members of the Jankovich, the Ambróczy and the Mészöly families. In 1828 there were 48 lesser nobiliary families in the village. Still, the only wealthy family was the Salamon family, who owned a property of 10 thousand acres. At the beginning of the 19th century the settlement consisted of two distinctive parts. Alsóalap was inhabited by servants and daily labourers, while Felsőalap was a settlement of noblemen.
Upon István Széchenyi’s initiative it was in the 1840s that societies for horse racing were established all over the country. The local branch at Alap was established in 1842 with the participation of local landowners. The most notable society members included Dénes Pázmándi Jr., Vilmos Csapó, Pál Fiáth, Sándor Festetics and Eduárd Gaál. The first horse race was held at Alap on October 4, 1842. Following this date races were organised on several occasions. These events also gave an opportunity for the local noblemen to discuss national and local politics.
The events of the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848/49 were considered an event of only nobiliary importance by the people of Alap, since it was a settlement of servants and daily labourers. Still, when the Croatian army was approaching Székesfehérvár they prepared for the war and marched to Ozora. Later during the war several inhabitants of Alap joined the Hungarian National Guard.