National and historical symbols of Hungary

In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.

The Coat-of-Arms of the Town of Ajka [¤]
Click to zoom

Ajka

(The County of Veszprém)

Ajka is an old settlement. Its first documented mention dates back to as early as 1228, to the age of the Árpád dynasty.

Although archival research could not attest by documentary evidence whether the village used its own seal in the Middle Ages, still Ajka belongs to those settlements that started to put their seals into use for the authentication of official documents very early.

According to the specialised literature on sigillography, it was not until the second half of the 18th century that settlements usually started to use their own seals. Ajka was no exception either, as long as its first seal was only found in documents relating to dues to be paid to the landlord during the reign of Empress Maria Theresa. The legend of the seal on a document dated 1774 reads SEAL OF AJKA VILLAGE 1697.

This legend bears evidence of the fact that the seal was made as early as in the 17th century, thus it belongs to the oldest ones in the county. On the charge are borne the stereotyped motifs of serf villages living out of agriculture: the ploughshare, the coulter and the wheat ear.

With respect to the fact that the seal of Ajka, as well as those of the settlements annexed to it later (Tósokberéd, Bódé, Csékút, Bakonygyepes, Padrag, Ajkarendek, Tósok) all display symbols barely differing from each other, when Ajka's new coat-of-arms was being designed, it seemed proper to consider a group of motifs fitting both traditions and the characteristics of the present-day town.

As the centre of a mining area, Ajka consciously chose symbols related to mining. St Barbara, patron saint of miners, is obviously present in the local church with good reason, and also this is the reason why the ancient symbol of the knapping hammer is borne on the shield. The undulating countryside of the Bakony Mountains is represented by the green triple-pointed mount, whereas the colour blue of the shield was taken from the ancient coat-of-arms of an old noble family, the Ajka clan, landowners of Ajka as early as in the 15th century.

The description of the coat-of-arms created on the basis of historical traditions is the following: kite shield azure, with a pointed base. On a triple-pointed mount vert the martyr St Barbara erect in pale, holding in the right hand a palm branch vert. Next to her to the sinister a tower or. In front of her feet, in a small kite shield argent with a pointed base two knapping hammers with handles crossed in saltire.

On festive occasions the town uses a shield adorned with the following accompaniment: across the top a helmet crested with a crown or, issuing from it a dove displayed argent. The mantling on the dexter is azure and or, on the sinister gules and argent.

The accompaniment described above is identical with that of the crest adorning the ancient coat-of-arms of the Ajka clan.

E-mail: ajkaphiv@mail.datanet.hu