In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
The municipality's coat of arms is vertically divided into parts.
On the emblem's right hand side, a ploughshare can be seen which symbolizes the village's rich agricultural heritage. The three bushels of wheat point to Ajak's strong tradition of faith, white the three hillocks symbolize the three 'islands' or parts which make up the modern day village. The hoe seen on the left hand side, represents the clearing of the wheat fields, while the ear of wheat is a symbol of life, of the fruits of work. The rosemary branch found on the emblem's underside portrays Ajak's rich folkart tradition. The emblem's colors: navy blue, green and red are also symbols of Ajak's well preserved folk culture.
The village of Ajak is situated in the North East of the region Nyírség, 42 kolometres away from Nyíregyháza (county centre). It can be reached easily through the highway number 4 or using the Budapest - Záhony railway line. It is a country town like settlement - one of the oldest in the county - set not far from the South of Kisvárda.
The name of the village itself can be originated from the noun "ajak" which means mouth, hole, narrowing, gap, leak, and it can be related to Miklós Ajak, landowner as well. It has been first mentioned in the records of 1290's. In 1299, the chapter of collegiate church in Nagyvárad already mentioned "Kis Ajak" (Little Ajak) and Nagy Ajak (Big Ajak).
In 1387 Miklós Ajak's villains had to move to Nagyajak because of the order of János, Chapter of collegiate church in Nagyvárad. Since the nineteenth century three parts of the village can be distinguished easily.
The oldest monument of the village is the current Reformed Church, which was originally catholic. It was built in the 13-14 centuries. It was first mentioned in 1332-1335, according to this record it was dedicated to the honour of Saint Nicholas. In 1681 one part of the church was destroyed since then the inhabitants used it to guard and keep their precious goods. Between 1773 and 1776 there was a legal action in relation with the use of the church and the church remained in the use of reformed people. It was redecorated in 1786. The first register of births goes back to 1788.
Ajak is well known for his folk art (which is the most colourful of the region) in all the country. This folk art has got a very deep tradition, which is preserved and cherished by the oldest generation.
There are three catholic churches in Ajak: he Roman (sith the hugest number of believers), the Greek and the Reformed.
The village has got a huge number of facilities, among them the most important are: solid pavements and road surfaces, running water, sewage disposal and gas pipe system. As for the cultural facilities, there is a nursery school called Rozmaring, a General Cultural House (including a primary school, a cultural house, a library, a theatre) and a cable TV system. In addition there can be found a nice sport field, a post office, a pharmacy, some supermarkets, greengrocer's, iron wares, a material shop, a restaurant, several hairdresser and beauty saloons.
The security of the people living there is guaranteed by a constant policeman on duty and a civic guard. As for the health care, two general practitioners and a dentist treat the patients.