In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Györ-Moson-Sopron)
Shield erect with base curved to a point. In field or heart gules transfixed by an arrow argent with three rose gules issuing.
Ágfalva - History:
Ágfalva is one of the most ancient settlements in the area. It is located at the foot of wooded hills, just a few kilometers from Sopron, directly at the Hungarian-Austrian border.
At present, the village has 2000 inhbitants. Its ancient name, "Daagh", was mentioned in documents as early as 1194. Since that time this ancient name was changed into Dagendorf, Agendorf and the community got its Hungarian name: Ágfalva.
Artifacts such as prehistoric pottery, gravestones and ruins from the Roman Ages all prove that the area was inhabited in the most ancient of times.
In the course of its history, the village had to face a great deal of suffering and plight: raged by neighbouring landlords, pillaged by Turks, decimated by epidemics. Also the two sorld wars claimed their victims. Ágfalva suffered its most grievous loss after World War II when the majority of its German-speaking population were expelled. Those people had to face a cruel destiny becoming settlers in a foreign country. The first train transporting 680 expellees left Ágfalva on April 14, 1946, followed by 559 others on the next day. Almost at the same time, a settling process began, in which 142 families arrived here rom other Hungarian villages; Ecsed, Acsalag, Mihályi, Völcsej.
Ágfalva's irst church, the Roman Catholic St. George Church, was built at a distance of 3000 steps from the old settlement, today known as old cemetery, back in 1265. The church suffered severe damage by the Turks, so it was dismantled in 1789. Its function was taken over by the late Baroque St. Antal chapel, standing at the fringes of the village.
The Lutheran church was built, that time without spire, by the permission of Joseph II, in 1785. It was rebuilt with vaults in 1835 and its spire was finished in 1870. The building itself is late Baroque having romantic-style marks on its facade and spire.
As reflected in its multilingual name, the original settlers of Ágfalva were the Germans. The so-called "Heinzischer" dialect from Bavaria is still spoken in the village.
The folk customs of kermess and open-tide have been lingering on for more than 100 years. It is remarkable that unlike in other villages, where kermess is usually held on the patron saint's day, kermess in Ágflva is adjusted to the anniversary of the consecration of the Lutheran church.
The community has got its own brass orchestra, choir, fire-brigade, football team and even a Riding Club.
The agicultural co-operative offers jobs for only a small proportion of the population. The majority goes to work to Sopron. At home, many of them have cattles.
Ágfalva is connected to Sopron with an hourly bus service.
Monuments of the village:
- Millenium Monument, erected in 1896 (In memory of the Hungarian Conquest of 895)
- Monument of the Hungrian War of Independence (1848-49)
- Monument cherishing the fallen heroes of World War I and World War II
- Monument of László Baracsi, born in Kecskemét, gave his life for Western Hungary as a hero on 28 August, 1921.
- Monument of the Expellees, dedicated in 1996.
From the top of the Ház-hegy (House-Hill), in clear weather, the dazzling peaks of the Alps are to be discerned. Eastwards, we can make out the reeds of Lake Fertő. Referring to the nearby Alps, spruce is one of the indigenous trees here since ancient times (the area surrounding Mészverem). In hornbeam woods, mingled with spruce, a great number of different flowers are to be found, among others the fragrant, protected cyclamen.
Ágfalva, this beautiful village, situated at the foot of the Sopron-Mountains, sparkled with leafy forests, pinewood and sweet chestnut trees, is overwhelmed with refreshing breath of pristine nature. The landscape, a world of wooded mountainsides, provides the visitor with relaxation and tranquility, making your visit to Ágfalva a memorable one.