In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
Shield erect and gules, its base rounded. In the middle of the base on a mound vert a tree is borne, leaved vert. A man is standing to the dexter, he is wearing a hat, resting his sinister hand on his hip and with his dexter hand leaning on the tree. At his dexter foot a wild flower is depicted and a horse is borne as tied to the dexter side of the tree.
Shield is topped by a wreath of wheat and the inscription ACSALAG in it. Both charges are linked to the shield. Base is adorned with a wreath of wheat.
The brief history of the settlement
Acsalag, a population of 540 inhabitants is located in the southern part of the region Hanság, at a distance of 10 kilometres north of Csorna.
The settlement came into being at the end of the 17th century on a hilltop of the marshy area called Hany. Many people came and sought refuge at this place throughout the stormy history of the country. Local waters and fishing were the main source of living for the local people. Sheep breeding in the pastures of Hany also meant a significant source of income for local inhabitants until as late as the the end of the 18th century. Two thirds of local land properties were occupied by agricultural fields, one third was occupied by pastures.
As 18th century documents attest to it, the village could then boast a school building and in 1738 a wooden church with a thatched roof was built here. The brick church was constructed in 1795.
From Acsalag ten soldiers participated in the war of independence of 1848. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries 25-30 local families emigrated to America, although many of them later returned.
61 people died in the two world wars.
The first agricultural cooperative was established in the village in 1948, which eventually ceased to exist in 1992. As far as the local administration is concerned, in this period (1973-1990) Acsalag was part of the village of Bősárkány and its institutions were also joint institutions with those of the other village.The Farád-Acsalag notary district came into being on July 1, 2001.
The village library has 2000 volumes.
The majority of inhabitants are Roman Catholics.
The Fertő-Hanság bicycle path leads though the village and it has an increasingly important role in the growth of tourism. The Hanság, a nature conservation area is nearby and it means that more and more tourists come and discover the beauties of Acsalag. The establishment of a youth camp as well as a of a special campsite for cyclists is also planned.
The Roman Catholic church is one of the most impressive buildings in the village. The church itself, its main altar and its pulpit all go back to the 1700s. Unfortunately the pulpit was pulled down by the order of the religious representatives of the local self government.
The statue of the Holy Trinity is seen in the centre of the village. There is a holy place nearby with the so called ’White icon’.A religious procession is held here annually at the time of the benediction of wheat.
The statue of St Florian can be seen at the beginning of Petőfi Street.
In front of the church a monument was erected from public contributions to commemorate the heroes and victims of the two world wars.
Using the support of the local government a tower clock was also added to the church in 2001 and it was blessed by Dr László Bóna, vicar general on May 6, 2001.
On October 1, 2000 a millenial memorial park, a memorial rock and a millenial flag were inaugurated at Acsalag.
The settlement is a member of the Regional Association for the Development of the Settlements of the Rábaköz-Tóköz-Hanságmente Region and it is also of the Association for the Regional Development of Tóköz. Acsalag also participates in the work of various other administrative authorities.
The settlement is to submit a project proposal to improve the energetic situation and the protection of nature at Acsalag.