In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Pest)
The coat-of-arms of Abony in a red shield a golden arm (right) holds three ears of wheat. At the bottom of the coat-of-arms are an oak branch and a laurel branch.
Abony is a town with about 15,500 inhabitants nearly in the middle of the country and it is situated to the south-east of Budapest near the main road No. 4. After the Hungarian settlement a princely tribe settled here. The settlement was one of the continuously perishing and reviving villages. The first remained written memory, the papal tithe list in which the village is first mentioned as Aban, oppeared in 1238. 1748 was an important date in the life of the settlement as Maria Theresa in this year donated Abony the status of market-town and the licence to keep three local fairs. Thus the year 1993 was the 245th anniversary of donating Abony the status of market-town. In 1788 Abony already had a post-office. The opening of the Pest-Szolnok railway line that touches Abony and the handing it over to traffic in 1877 which is shown by a memorial tablet at the railway station gave new stimulus to the town's development.
In the 1890s the leadership of the community reached that Abony became the centre of the district. This status was retained for 60 years. Abony was the administrative centre for six other settlements: Jászkarajenő, Törtel, Kocsér, Tószeg, Újszász, Zagyvarékas. Later the status of small community then in 1971 the status of large community was donated to Abony. In 1987 Abony was declared a large community directly controlled by the county.
With the 196/1992./XII. 18. resolution of the President of the Hungarian Republic the status of town was donated to Abony from 1st 1993.
One of the two towers belongs to the catholic church, the other belongs to the reformed church. The Roman catholic church is named after Saint Stephen, its 200th anniversary was celebrated in 1989, for this occasion a new bell was introduced. The building is a monument, around it a monument and statues of historic character can be found. The big ceiling with painted panels in the reformed church is our national value because of its unique character. The reformed church's 200th anniversary was celebrated in 1990. In honour of celebrating the donation of the status of town to Abony a chiming clock was placed in the reformed church's tower.
Culture: community arts centre, library, cinema.
Other organizations: Circle of Farmers, Association of the Physically Handicapped, Association of the Unemployed, People's Academy, Sports Club, the Circle of Museum Friends
Medical services: Eight family doctors, four family paediatricians, four dentists, medical laboratory, medical night-duty, prevention centre including: physiotherapy, rheumatology, otolaryngology, urology, gynaecology, ultrasonography, health visitor service.
Regional service: Police to which belong the settlements Újszász, Törtel, Kőröstetétlen, Jászkarajenő. Association of Firemen.
Tourism: Town open-air pool (thermal water), Hunters' association with two hunting houses, 2 ha fishnig pond, town sports hall (opened in 1993), private guest-house. Abonyi Lajos Village Museum, picture gallery (cellar gallery).
Education: Two primary schools and one special school as basic service. Secondary education is provided by The Kinizsi Pál Secondary Grammar and Technical School. The Bihari János Music School was founded in 1952 and the 40th anniversary of its foundation was celebrated in 1992. Two orchestras have been working in this institution for decades. The string orchestra have won several foreign grand prizes, while the brass orchestra have visited 12 countries and have come first in eight European competitions. In this category this is the most successful orchestra of the country. The IGEB congress was held in Abony in 1994. In 1995 the Orchestra Festival of European Music Schools was organized in the course of which 6,000 participants arrived from Europe and many other countries of the world.
Social services: There are two caring centres and both of them provide housing for the elderly. 70 people live in the old people's home and it is being enlarged at present. The Family helping service was founded from the local goverment's own means and form the sum of money gained by the application advertised by the Ministry of Health.