In this section you can find the crests of almost 2400 settlements of Hungary with notes. Find the starting letter of the settlement in the list and click if you want to see it.
(The County of Győr-Moson-Sopron)
The coat-of-arms is a Gothic shield erect, party per pale. In the first field gules on a ground vert a chapel argent with a circular and a round-arched window, and a closed gate. In the ground vert three crosses or borne beside each other. In the second field azure a two-piered bridge alaisé argent with lamp-posts and a parapet. Under the arch a fish urinant, party per fess argent and azure. The base is tierced per fess argent and vert. In the wedge debased (chapé) or a ploughshare azure in pale, bladed to the sinister. Across the top a triple-verdured coronet or, adorned with gems. Under the shield on a scroll or the motto ABDA in majuscules or.
Abda is the seat of a district notary. Its area covers 19.02 square kms. It is located along the No. 1 trunk road at eight kms northwest of Győr, on an alluvial cone shaped by the rivers Rábca and Mosoni-Duna (Danube). This area is one of the lowest-lying places in the Győr Basin. The village fields used to be divided by brooks and backwaters flowing in the old river beds (Holt-Duna, Csikós-ér). The dwellers used to make their living mostly from agriculture and animal husbandry.
The nearby waters offered possibilities for fishing, while the expansion of industry, especially the vicinity of Győr, provided jobs and a living for many.
The village was first mentioned by the name Obada in the 13th century, in connection with a 12th-century deal. In the last will of Adalbert, envoy of King Géza II to Sicily, dated 1153, the list of land possessions inherited by Adalbert's wife was in the 13th century complemented with Abda, on condition that upon her remarriage these lands should be handed over to the Abbey of Pannonhalma.
The bridge of Abda on the main road between Vienna and Buda was an old toll bridge, the customs tariffs of which were repeatedly readjusted by the kings of Hungary. It was here that in 1271 King István V fought the army of Ottokar of Bohemia, who came to attack Győr. For many centuries, the bridge had a strategic importance as a crossing point for the military.
In 1566 the village witnessed a tragic event, whereby Ferenc Tahi, Miklós Zrínyi's brother-in-law, his son-in-law and Boldizsár Battyány were given by Count Salm the severed head of Zrínyi, hero of the battle of Szigetvár, sent by Grand Vizier Mustapha with a letter reading "take your boldest captain's head as a sign of my cordiality".
According to tradition, on 24 May 1702 the captive Ferenc Rákóczi's coach was crossing the bridge of Abda when a soldier fishing on the bank of the river Rábca presented him with a catfish. Rákóczi released the fish in the water with the following words: "If only Rákóczi, the prisoner who setteth you free, could follow you shortly and be free". This scene is commemorated by a monument erected in the early 1940s.
In the 1830s the village, which had suffered greatly from floods, moved from its former site to Pityerdomb (hill), given for this purpose by the cathedral chapter. The old site of the settlement is marked by a memorial chapel, built to replace the village's one-time church.
On 28 July 1848 the river crossing at Abda was defended by a national battalion named after Kossuth, which belonged to General Pöltenberg's corps. They were able to hold the bridge head against the superior numbers of the enemy for half an hour. On the Hungarian side there were 33 casualties, 77 wounded and 273 missing in action.
When the river was regulated in 1886-93, the diggers working in the river bed found soldiers' bodies evidently buried in haste. These unknown soldiers were likely to have been among the 273 missing men, who had been placed in a mass grave. The remains of the heroes were then reburied outside the chapel commemorating the historical village. Their memory is kept alive by an obelisk erected above the grave.
In November 1944 another sad event took place on the bank of the Rábca River. It was here that the renowned Hungarian poet Miklós Radnóti, together with several other inmates of a forced labour camp, was shot to death. On the site of the mass grave there is a monument with the poet's bust by the sculptor László Alexovics, as well as a limestone piece symbolising a flame.
The stone-carved image of the immaculate Virgin Mary from 1700 is in front of the church. It was placed on this site in 1852. In the middle of Szent István utca (street) opposite the church there is a stone cross, originally erected in the historical village in 1745. It was also re-erected on its present site in 1852. The village church, a listed building, was built between 1843-5. In the old streets (Szent István, Szent Imre, Akác, Honvéd utca) a few old houses built in rural Baroque style can still be seen. A monument in memory of the local heroes of World War I was erected in 1936 on the square in front of the church, while in order to commemorate the victims of World war II, the local authority unveiled another monument on 23 October 1991. The local government also had the statue of St John of Nepomuk restored and raised in the park behind the church on 20 August 1992.
The settlement's contemporary profile
The number of Abda's inhabitants is 2,820. Their majority work in Győr. In the village there is a number of plants and enterprises representing food and machine industry, as well as building and construction industry. The co-operative farm employs fifty people. Foodstuff is provided by two supermarkets, several depots and discount stores. On both sides of the trunk road 70 greengroceries have been opened. In the village there are three pensions with a total capacity of appr. 55, and the paying guest service has also begun to develop. Hikers and other guests are served by four restaurants, two pastry shops and two wine cellars. There are several garages and other small-scale industries represented by a number of bakers, hair stylists, tailors, as well as gardeners, agricultural entrepreneurs and taxi drivers.
Outside the village one can find the ELVIS theme park with a hotel, a restaurant, a café and a petrol station. Those who arrive from Vienna can refuel at the Motalkó station. In the village the services of a general practitioner, a district nurse and a veterinary surgeon are also available. In addition, there is an eight-grade district primary school, shared with Börcs, a kindergarten, a cultural centre and a library operating in the village. Local public institutions include a post office and a church parish.
The most significant amateur group of Abda is the sports club with a soccer section. In addition, the firemen's and the pigeon-breeders' associations are also active. The processions and balls at harvest time have become traditional, and the villagers would like to make the village festival a tradition as well. The settlement can also boast a monthly paper titled Abdai Hír-lapok.